Wednesday, February 17, 2010

movie clip wednesday

our pal, boxer used to have movie nights when she was a kid and, like me, is a movie fan. so to honor her tradition and the movies, here's my entry for musical wednesday:



fred astaire was so elegant and his movies (already old when i first saw them) did exactly what they did in the 30's and 40's swept me away to a lovely place free from care and everyday dullness. i think that's why i know all the music still! shall we begin dancing cheek to cheek?

13 comments:

  1. "Sure he was great, but don't forget that Ginger Rogers did everything he did, backwards... and in high heels."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Well saied! It is hard work to make something easy. And they were damn good at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was completely smitten with Gene Kelly... Fred would do in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My two favorites, S. Back in the days before video rental, I went to a Fred/Ginger Film Series.... every monday for five weeks. They played two movies per day.

    You get an A+++ because I think these are everything good about musicals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know, movies just looked so beautiful then. some movies today are so dark and grim, im like, hey i can save $15 and get this at home!

    well chosen entries. you cannot go wrong with Fred.

    Happy MCW!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, dang!
    It worked out a bit different, but, the music was great!
    No...not Fred.
    My stupid computer contraption throws a fit every once and a while, and the videos read :an error occurred.
    I dunno what that means, but, sometimes when it happens, it's because of traffic.
    So, I'll try again, later.

    But then...what music was I talking about?
    I just watched it again this weekend.
    Hunt for Red October.
    And, yeah...I know it's Russian and all, but, hey. It was still good music.

    Write a memo...what a great line!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to call those 'Sunday fillums' when I was a kid. There was only one TV channel so no choice. We loved 'em though.

    (I do 'Just the way... still in my rep!)

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh those lovely auld fillums... I can remember the mammy asking the oul fella to grease his hair just like your man Fred.

    ... I can also remember the faithers reply too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. saw it this time.
    Dang! No wonder the gals fell for him.
    I play the piano, too....
    Like a dog wearing gloves...
    I sing beautifully...
    if you like Lee Marvin....
    Good clips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fred Astaire is my all=time favorite!!! I have a French horn CD playing these classic tunes, but nobody does them like Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fred and Gene were like Olivier and Gielgud. Elegance and aestheticism on the one hand and sex on legs on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent choice although I always felt Fred was a better dancer than singer. And the man could wear a tux. Seems like that's all he ever wore.

    Happy MCW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember watching these with you when I was sick. You told me they would make me feel better and they did. I love you!

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar