To participate in Movie Clip Wednesday, post your favorite movie clip that matches the weekly theme and come by here to let me know. Write only the title of your movie in the comments, but on your blog it would be fun to know why you picked it.
note: this was boxer's idea, so please drop by there and let her know if y'all are going to play! xoxo
************
i chose the last king of scotland because it's based on a true story. idi amin was indeed a horrible man, vicious, crazed and a very visible symbol of all things wrong in the post colonial world. the doctor, although a composite and fictional, is also symbolic of how greed corrupts and diminishes us all. there is evil in the world, it manifests itself in many ways and sometimes, with a pleasing face (not that was the case with the real idi amin). the evilness that allows people to turn a blind eye to injustice for their own personal gain, financial and psychological, made the garrison character (and people like him) equally complicit in the horror done. the performances in this movie were stellar and helped bring an awareness that had alluded many people to the reality of dictatorships.
i'm seeing the darkness more and more in our world and it saddens me more than i can say. poverty and ignorance are seizing the least of us around the world and this will bring about our end without a doubt unless we deal with it now! poverty makes people very small, jealous and vicious the MITM said to me yesterday about a situation in deepestdarkestafrica, but it is true more often than not everywhere were neglect has allowed poverty and ignorance to blossom. it's easy to convert the hopeless with promises of a better life when they see nothing else....
but i digress, tell me about your movie clip for Bad Guys!
i need a romantic comedy!
i think i'll watch moonstruck again!

We watched a documentary about him a few weeks ago that he authorized, so, of course, it made him seem a bit more...human. I dunno. Hard to believe that there is anything but grey areas when it comes to judging good and bad, but Idi...he seemed pretty bad.
ReplyDeleteMy bad guy clip would be any news footage of the hospitalized Dick Cheney. A real-life super-villain.
And you said you had nothing to write/say! YOU said it perfectly. I loved your introduction and didn't even need the clip, but I enjoyed that too. You make a great point that bad men don't necessarily look bad. And, bad/evil can be everywhere.
ReplyDeleteGreat job. Thanks for participating. I hope more of your blog role plays soon. Be soon to come over and post your title.
Happy Wednesday!
I've been a fan of Forrest Whitaker since Good Morning Viet Nam, and, though I'm not sure, think he played the part of a hit man (turned soft hearted)...
ReplyDeleteI have also scared myself twice out of watching the Last King of Scotland.
I'm not sure I should scare myself out of things like that, and sometimes think that it's better to go ahead and see the worse there is.
But then, why?
There is so much bad in the world...and here, too.
My goal, though overwhelmingly small in the greater scheme of things, is to find what good there is and to magnify it.
Surely there is yet some good?
Somewhere?
I remember Idi Amin Dada. Did not know that there is a film about him. Bokassa too? Poverty and ignorance. And the perversion of values follows suite.
ReplyDeleteI tend to be one of those who thinks that most people are basically good hearted, but when we feel fear and uncertainty, we are more likely to close in and be less generous of spirit.
ReplyDeleteAnd when we close up and become more selfish we are more easily manipulated. Whether by governments or marketing forces.
Therefore it is in the "national and economic interest" that we are suspicious and fearful most of the time.
Although far be it for me to suggest our governments and big businesses would ever stoop so low...
That is a great movie! Forrest Whitaker and Mr Tumnus made for a dynamic interaction!
ReplyDeleteI've just been listening to a radio play about human rights abuse in Uzbekistan so my head is too full of that (and our complicity in all this horror).
ReplyDeleteI too need to lighten the mood so will vote for a bad guy who comes good: Ebenzer Scrooge
I think its a great idea and will have a go when my brain thaws.
ReplyDeleteNot sure if Idi's atrocities are even in the African Dictator Top 5 now, but he was certainly colorful.
ReplyDeleteMust have been a challenging role for Whittaker who's often good.
Happy MCW.
Bad Guys: LBJ and Nixon. Real-life war criminals.
ReplyDeleteMake the bad man go awayyyyy!
ReplyDeleteExcellent choice! When I was a child, Idi Amin was touted as the worst of the worst - we came to imagine him as almost surreal and supernatural in his evil. Unfortunately, the ante has been upped many times in his wake.
ReplyDeleteWow. Boxer's movie clip deal is really catching on.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by :)
Good afternoon Savannah,
ReplyDeleteVery good choice for your clip. Idi Amin Dada was a truly bad guy.
Interesting how manipulating the ignorant can bring terrible leaders to power.
There's always someone claiming to be Scottish... this Idi fella, how long do you think he would have lasted in the fair city of Glesga without his bloodthirsty band of eejits around him?
ReplyDeleteRomatic Comedy?
ReplyDeletePunch Drunk Love is superb....Adam Sandler's only good movie...
This is a fun idea...! I would love to participate but I find that I don't do well with having to post vertain things on certain days, every week....! But I might do ir occassionally, as I think of something...!
ReplyDeleteTCM Just had "MOONSTRUCK" on a few days ago...Iy had been years and years since I had seen it..I had forgotten what a delightfully romantic and funny film it is....Good Choice for a film that makes you laugh out loud and makes you feel good!
I saw LAST KING OF SCOTLAND and thought it was a very good film, but truthfully, if I never see it again---that will be just fine.
I agree with you about there being so much evil in the world and the darkness---It depresses me too much, so....I'll take "MOONSTRUCK".
BTW: "THE ANSWER" is now posted, with pictures...yet!
I remember back in the 70s when this was going on. The truely scary bad guys of film are the real ones. For me, Forest Whitaker will always be Jefferson from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
ReplyDeleteHappy MCW!
Hi Sugah! Another movie I have NOT seen, and there is no excuse because it has been on my good list for a long long long long time. I remember when all that was going on as well. Actually, I think me and Buzzy had the same childhood. But I digress. Happy MCW!
ReplyDeleteI’m suffering from Crystal Swing syndrome- doc says to stay away from videos.
ReplyDeleteSaw this a while ago. Rather different to the book, but still a good film, even although I'm not keen on James McAvoy.
ReplyDeleteGreat choice with such a true bad buy. And this particular bad guy was so well played in the film.
ReplyDeletePoverty really does breed all kinds of nastiness at times, although the poor people I work with here are defensive about that notion. They say they are poor but don't misbehave. I think the condition of poverty is so relative across the world, though, that the poor in the U.S. seem wealthy to the poor in other parts of the world.