Do atypical cells usually mean cancer?
Answer
from Timothy Moynihan, M.D.
Atypical cells appear abnormal, but they aren't necessarily cancerous. Many factors can make normal cells appear atypical, including inflammation and infection. Even normal aging can make cells appear abnormal.
Atypical cells can revert to normal if the underlying cause is removed or resolved. In some cases this happens spontaneously. In other cases, it's the result of a specific treatment.
Although atypical cells don't necessarily mean cancer, it's important to remember that some cancers first appear as atypical cells. If your doctor identifies atypical cells, close follow-up is essential. In some cases, the doctor may simply monitor the atypical cells to make sure they don't become more abnormal. In other cases, the doctor may recommend a particular treatment to try to reverse the process that's causing the atypical cells. And sometimes, the doctor may need to obtain a larger sample of tissue — such as a biopsy — to make sure cancer or another more serious condition isn't present.
this is a good thing. doc will send the films off to the surgeon. i will meet the MITM on saturday out in cali and when we get home, we'll see what's next.
for all of you who've taken time to leave words of support, my family and i want to say thank you. this community we've become part of has become as dear to us as the friends who gather around our table. i cherish each and everyone of you and hold you close always! you are my friends.
The West Wing" (1999)
Leo McGarry: This guy's walkin' down a street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, "Hey you! Can you help me out?" The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole, and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, "Father, I'm down in this hole; can you help me out?" The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by. "Hey, Joe, it's me. Can ya help me out?" And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, "Are ya stupid? Now we're both down here." The friend says, "Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out.
thank you,
alan
apprentice
b. e. earl
bock
boxer
charlie
conortje
crazy river girl
daisyfae
debra
djdannak
don
e@l
eleanor
eroswings
eryl
fat sparrow
jack sparrow
jayne
jc
jimmy
kaz
kevin musgrove
kim ayres
leah
lulu labonne
madame de farge
mago
manuel, the waiter
mark
mj
momentary madness
naomi
pat
ponita
roses
scarlet-blue
scout
shan
tc
t-shirt
the jules
the U
tony
white rabbit
xl
and z!
from me, the MITM and the coconut krewe!
~~~~~~~
pictures from the field
super nana on tv! she plays a (guess what) teacher on this episode of lincoln heights. (sorry, huhu doesn't work outside of the states!)
for all y'all outside of the states, one of my favorite pictures of super nana
First?! How did that happen?
ReplyDeleteI'm just home and you're my first port of call.
Honey, many, many hugs to you and your MITM.
Atypical, to me sounds far better than cancerous.
I've had abnormal cells pop up before and I hope that like mine, yours will get with the programme and BEHAVE.
ROSES! y'all are first because i just put this up, sugar! i started it earlier, but between calls and stuff...anyway, thanks, sugar! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteYay!!!
ReplyDeleteAging can make normal cells look abnormal? Really? Doesn't that just suck? But still, you know we are all relieved with the good news.
Sounds good Savvy.
ReplyDeleteBut I'll not uncross my fingers just yet.
Best of luck with everything.
ReplyDeleteAnd that might have been my favorite episode of The West Wing ever.
That and when Leo was on trial in front of Congress and Josh tries everything he can do to end it even though Leo specifically tells him not to. Josh just says "That's all well and good, but ya see this guy is walkin' along and he falls into a hole".
Just found the actual quotes:
ReplyDeleteJosh: I'm gonna help you. 'Cause you know why?
Leo: 'Cause you walk around with so much guilt about everybody you love dying, that you're a compulsive fixer?
Josh: No, Leo, no. It's 'cause a guy's walking down the street and he falls into a hole, see?
I'm with Kaz, and I'll keep my fingers crossed.
ReplyDeleteDammit Babes! I'm outside of the States and can't watch the video.
Sx
My digits are still doing it---all 10 of them. Still breathing, and sending all good things to you
ReplyDeletexox
I'm just north of the 49th and I can't watch that video either! Says you have to be in the USA to see it.
ReplyDeleteI hate it when they do that...
Atypical, eh? Still a grey zone but much better than cancerous. Hey, maybe you've just got old boobs!
That's good news, Savannah. Go to Cali, relax for a bit, and then get lots of follow-up. Let us know what the surgeon says, k?
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Well that sounds good in a fingers crossed sort of way...
ReplyDeleteAll will be well.
I can't stream the clip as not in the United States. Impertinence!!
My internet speed is currently about the same as a slug, so I also can't watch the video ;-(
ReplyDeleteHowever, the news sounds good darlin'......nothing wrong with the follow up either, cos it's literally just 'double checking'. Big {{{{hugs}}}} to you darlin :-D
xoxoxoxox!
ReplyDelete:¬)
Hi Savvy
ReplyDeleteI'm really Pleased . The News Gives You Plenty To Work With.You Sound to have a load of Energy Back! Thinking Of You .Bestest From Tony x
Strong, beautiful, resilient, and much loved. That's you hen.
ReplyDeleteHi Savannah,
ReplyDeleteToday I smile for the MITM and you.
U
Big hugs from me too. I'll keep something crossed just till you hear finally, but this is good news. I am truly pleased to hear from you. Have a great time with MITM and relax! Don't clean a thing!
ReplyDeleteRoses sent me - though I've seen your comments on other friends' blogs too. I hope it's nothing - I've got friends and even my own daughter with 'atypical cells' that turned out to be nothing at all to worry about. But even if so, better to have it dealt with. Sorry, honey, and I'll be back to see how you get on. xx
ReplyDeleteearly detection, watchful docs, prayer and good family and friends.... THAT'S the prescription for a good life.
ReplyDeleteThat sweet relief that it wasn't THAT and yet......I'm sorry you even have to worry about anything.
And your Super Nana? Wow. Model pretty.
xoxox.
Guarded news is better than bad news because it keeps hope alive and strong.
ReplyDeleteThe best news could be natural aging--like fine wine.
You still have a piece of my heart, so hang on to it.
Super Nana is absolutely stunning!
ReplyDeleteJust like her mama... :-D
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo
I have abnormal cells too!!! (but they are in my brain... oops.. no.. they ARE my brain!)
ReplyDeleteSuper Nana... oooh! awesome looking lady. Seems to run in the family, eh? And an actress, too!
Your video won't let Canadians watch it.
ReplyDeleteAs for the news...
Hallelujah!
Discipline, that's what these cells have to learn - tell 'em to behave!
ReplyDeleteSeriously we know a little more then before: Some cells are other than the others. It's to be monitored and watched and its clear what has to be done: Action depends from the results of closer inspection.
This is something I can life with.
Let me give you a friendly hug (Savannah) ... oh dear ...
Darling Miss S--this is excellent news, and sounds really manageable.
ReplyDeleteMy love to you and your family.
OK, so not quite as good as we hoped. But also, not as bad as feared. We'll take it.
ReplyDeleteMy Mom had abnormal cells when I was in college: that's all they ended up being. She had the biopsy and they continued to watch them, but the point is, sometimes abnormal just means abnormal.
I'm counting on that being the case for you, too.
*HUGS*
Now I take that as good news. Have a nice holiday and when you return, take it one step at a time. OK?
ReplyDeleteSuper Nana is very elegant, like Super Savannah!
Super Nana is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteAbnormal cells - better than cancerous cells AND I hope they just go away.
Prayers are with you sweet lady :)
Hugs
Abnormal cells can be fixed. I mean, I was abnormal and I'm just fine now! :::twitches sporadically::: Seriously, though, this is fixable, if it even needs fixing, and we are relieved for you.
ReplyDeleteSuperNana is just beautiful, and obviously intelligent besides. She comes by it honest, obviously! I would tell you that the Spouse Sparrow said she had a nice rack, but then you'd probably slap him, ha. He says, "No, no, I said she had great talent" Yeah, Spouse Sparrow, I'm sure you were eyeing up her "talent." Men!
this is good news! surgeon will likely talk options, and the choices as to how to proceed will ultimately be yours! a little research on the interwebs, network with other folks who have been through it, and ultimately trust your instincts...
ReplyDeleteyou can handle whatever comes your way! no doubt in my mind!
happy hour?
Great news I say. I predicted a good outcome and I was right. I have you "marked" down as 100% healthy, happy, and ready to get back to normal living.
ReplyDeleteSuper Nana is one of the most beautiful gals that I have EVER seen. The camera loves her and she has the most beautiful smile. She lights up a room and she makes heads turn. And I KNOW she is as talented as she is beautiful.
sounding good.
ReplyDeleteI'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
This is sounding more 80 than 20, I'm keeping my toes crossed so I can continue to type, XXXXXXXXXX
ReplyDeleteHey Thanks guys for being so nice to my mom and for the compliments. You really made us all feel better on one of the worst days.
ReplyDeletehttp://community.abcfamily.go.com/watch/lincoln-heights/you-i-will-leave
ReplyDeleteit's at 17:20 for those of you across the pond who are interested.
Oh, good try, Super Nana, but that doesn't work outside the US either. Just tried it from Canada. :-(
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear you finally got some answers. And it's good to know that you'll be following up on any further developments.
ReplyDeleteI hope you've started packing for your trip. You deserve a nice vacation!
Safe journey, and best wishes to you and yours!
P.S. Fantastic job, Supernana! And what a lovely foto.
Good news missus! I'm so pleased for you, but know how drained you and yours must feel. I hope they now keep tabs on those rougue wee rascals.
ReplyDeleteThis too will pass S.
A
x
I have a hunch that those atypical cells are in for one heck of a whupping from your lovely self. They wouldn't DARE turn into anything more sinister once they find out just who they're dealing with!!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't see the video either, of course, so I can't say anything about your daughter's acting. I can, however, say that she's an absolute stunner in the looks department! I see more than a little of you in her, which explains it all, of course. :D
Enjoy your trip west!
You're left in a kind of Limbo I would imagine.
ReplyDeleteI hope all turns out well.
;-)
It sounds more promising, I would think.
ReplyDeleteWorrying as well though. Stay perky!