the 47 society
draw your own conclusions!
according to the wikipedia (if y'all didn't click on the 47 society link):
"There exists a 47 society,[4] an outgrowth of a movement started at Pomona College, California, USA, which propagates the belief (or, to some, the inside joke) that the number forty-seven occurs in nature with noticeably higher frequency than other natural numbers, that it is the quintessential random number.[5] The origin of 47 lore at Pomona appears to be a mathematical proof, written in 1964 by Professor Donald Bentley, which supposedly demonstrated that all numbers are equal to 47. However, the proof mentioned above was used by Professor Bentley as a "joke proof" to introduce his students to the concept of mathematical proofs, and is not mathematically valid."
(did i mention that one of the coconut krewe attended pomona college?)
update entitled: and sure, why not?
(thanks to bock!)
Yesterday they told me it was going to be good weather today .
ReplyDeleteI knew I shouldn’t have listened to them.
I was 47 once... does that count?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the exlanation - I wouldn't have got it. The only think I could think was it's a prime number, but beyond that...
ReplyDeleteClearly I went to the wrong educational establishment :)
Everybody knows that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is actually 42. I mean, I wouldn't want to contradict and all, but there it is.
ReplyDeletemomo...that bad, sugar? xoxox
ReplyDeleteponita...absolutely! everything counts! xoxox
kim...that would have been real math, darlin! xoxox
fatsparrow...in the hitchhiker's galaxy maybe! who knew? level 42 xoxox
Well, this is much better than what I thought: 47 degrees Celsius is about 116 Fahrenheit, and I thought, 'Wow, that is a lot of humidity pushing up the heat index!'.
ReplyDeleteWV: singe
As in what would happen to me in 116 degree weather! :)
eros...it has happened before, sugar, the heat index did that last year! of course, nobody was outside! well, excpet for the yankee tourists! ;~D xoxox
ReplyDelete(y'all are kidding about that wv, right? too funny!)
I do love this dose of learning. It makes me feel that I retain some hope of remaining mentally active. At least until I'm 47.
ReplyDeleteMDF...it's quite good, isn't it, sugar? keep y'alls eyes open! xoxox
ReplyDelete"Everything counts, in large amounts",Depeche Mode.
ReplyDeleteAs a proud Pomona alum I'd just like to say thanks for revealing the secrets it cost me thousands of dollars to discover. By the by, my maggot number was 1047. Awesome.
ReplyDeletemap...exactly! and less is more is only good in decorating! xoxox
ReplyDeletecap'n...the ENTIRE world should be aware of the power of 47 and also, 42. but what about bazooka? nothing to say?