Monday, June 30, 2008

monday or what do you mean, twins?

yep, my nieces are going to stay for a week...15 year old twins. i have no clue anymore about what to do...or even more importantly what not to do!

these are cali girls...hollywood. they've seen every movie out and even some that haven't yet hit the screen. for them, savannah is like one great big period movie set. yeah, i know, marc jacobs has a store here and movies get premiered here, but compared to la...we are really behind the times. now, if they had come during the scad film fest or the savannah music fest...it might have been different! things to do, people to see...you know exciting. . .

the museums, the beach, wandering around town...what else?

any suggestions?

18 comments:

  1. Give em a spare set of house keys and a map of Savannah and push em out the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teach them some home cooking skills, a bit of needlework and ironing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take 'em on a ghost tour. I want to do one next time I come to Savannah.

    The beach for sure. I'd say for a couple of days. Teenage girls can spent immeserable amounts of time parading around in bikinis.

    I agree with KA: teach them some Southern cooking. They might complain about it while doing it, but I can guarantee it will stick with them and that some day when they are impressing some man with their skills, they'll be thankful :-)

    I'd say try and get them into the Art Institute for a few hours at least: I've heard good things about it. Just to see what there is to offer.

    Go for a few drives... show them cotton (for real, not just movie sets). Anyone have a stick in your family? Hit some back country roads/fields and teach 'em to drive.

    All the things you loved about the South as a teenager are the things you should show them. A "throw back style of life" might be just what they need. My #1 advice? Keep 'em away from the computer and not as tied to their cell phones as they'd like to be ;-)

    Oh yeah, and make sure they have some sweet tea for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahahah - Moose made me spit coffee out.

    I think the beach is a great idea AND the cooking - lucky girls to spend time with YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a twin myself, (for the record my twin sister is alot better looking than I am) you gotta take them to a Sand Gnats baseball game. And you have to take them to a nice southern eatery that has outdoor dining. And take them on a nice walking tour of the fabulous houses in Savannah. Im sure you will all have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Mr Moose......tremendous idea........life affirming and character building

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, give them a taste of the South and the chance to make the things themselves. T.hey won't forget that

    The ghost tour sounds terrific too.

    They'll have a brilliant time with you, toots. Wait and see. I wish I had an aunt as cool as you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 15 year old twin girls?
    For a week?
    Grab a cattle prod and a box of stun grenades and barricade yourself in the attic until they're gone.
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Honestly, and at the risk of sounding sexist - if you can afford to splash out - offer a trip to the cosmetologist, a nail job or something in the same price range (it's 90 Euros over here for the full (which you don't have to get) whack: stick on with stars, glitter, and much more, great fun plus it takes a couple of hours plus::::: half the day will be gone before you know it. I'd say you would get away with about 100 bucks for both - if you're lucky - there.
    They're 15teen; you're bound to hit home, and be the cool aunt on the block.
    Unless, yes, be sure to ask first.
    ;-) ;-) ;-) Anyway, it's Tues.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Moose is right. Mark on the map the cinemas and the amusement-part of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhh I always got roped in with the pre teens/teenage kids stopping around mine. At that age of NOT BEING OLD ENOUGH FOR..bars and nightclubs. Too old for board games and dressing up (they once loved to root around your wardrobe..)

    Slumber party never fails...With plenty of face-pack made of natural products they would enjoy making. Make up experiments, nail varnish, curling or straightening of hair etc...to finish off..pure girlie movies with loads of chocolate, pop corn and hot chocolate with marshmellows.x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks, darlings, for all the good suggestions! xoxo

    i'll again post soon with our fabulous activities! ;-)

    (mr. moose, you should have given the girls your spare!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fuck em. And tell them I said so. Just point them at some bars and some other dumb kids and they'll be fine. Those two are like us except dumber and more willing to get caught. Yeah, I said it and I've told them the same damn thing a million times. I should probably fly out there and show 'em how to really get into some trouble. Ha! Good luck, knucklehead. You've totally bitten off more than you can handle, you'll be missing Ghost in a day. Ha! Kidding! Or am I? Wumpspew!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello auntie - how's it going? I am sure the two have occupied your living-room with tons of silver disks and a fixed line to the pizza delivering service, no feet out of the front-door ... :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Be a Cool Aunt and take them to a wine tasting.

    Make them clean. Tell them it's the southern way and the only way they'll get fed. They'll be too tired to get up to shenanagans and you'll have a bonus clean house when they leave!

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar