Astounding what Mrs Fitzgerald and la Streisand do with it; Shaw is gently swinging along the melody, while Hawkins and Consorten use it as a start for something else - all great in its own, all wonderful musicians: Thank You for the links, Savannah!
i had to translate the german! so, those 2 videos are locked out? these rules are so insane, aren't they? sometimes, i can't see videos from other countries either! glad you enjoyed the music! xoxooo
A variation of this. It's the rotten "gema", a organisation that protects rights of musicians. That is all right, and nobody wants artists starve to death. But "gema" ... see there's a happening in action, when pianos are put out all over a city - actually 14 pianos in Munich, originally a British idea I think; "gema" had the nerve to demand that the organisers pay the gema-fee, because it is possible that on said pianos music is performed and the copyrights on said music could be violated ... yes, one has to savour the taste of this in full ... with their demand they nearly sunk the project. That is gema, alive and kicking.
We've got something like this over here too. It's called l'Union des Artistes but I call it la Mafia des Artistes. It's one of the reason why I aborted my potential career as a performer. Even when I gave concert for free, in a private house, or in a restaurant (a free meal was my only pay then), I had to be very careful of the repertoire I chose. And there's also SODEC, but that's a whole different story! *sigh*
I like hearing covers of good song. My wife not so much. She considers covers as ruining the "original" song. I've listened to covers that are better than the original hit in my opinion. Music and opinion do go well together. thanks
Astounding what Mrs Fitzgerald and la Streisand do with it; Shaw is gently swinging along the melody, while Hawkins and Consorten use it as a start for something else - all great in its own, all wonderful musicians: Thank You for the links, Savannah!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes: GOtt strafe Gema! Holiday and Cole are not allowed in Germany ...
ReplyDeletei had to translate the german! so, those 2 videos are locked out? these rules are so insane, aren't they? sometimes, i can't see videos from other countries either! glad you enjoyed the music! xoxooo
DeleteA variation of this.
DeleteIt's the rotten "gema", a organisation that protects rights of musicians. That is all right, and nobody wants artists starve to death. But "gema" ... see there's a happening in action, when pianos are put out all over a city - actually 14 pianos in Munich, originally a British idea I think; "gema" had the nerve to demand that the organisers pay the gema-fee, because it is possible that on said pianos music is performed and the copyrights on said music could be violated ... yes, one has to savour the taste of this in full ... with their demand they nearly sunk the project. That is gema, alive and kicking.
We've got something like this over here too. It's called l'Union des Artistes but I call it la Mafia des Artistes. It's one of the reason why I aborted my potential career as a performer. Even when I gave concert for free, in a private house, or in a restaurant (a free meal was my only pay then), I had to be very careful of the repertoire I chose. And there's also SODEC, but that's a whole different story! *sigh*
DeleteMmmmmmmmmmmm …
ReplyDeletexoxoxoxox
perfect response, dive daddy-o! ;) xoxoxoxo
DeleteBee. You. Tee. Fool! Thanks Savannah. This is a real treat. So sad you couldn't get Holiday, Mago. The way she caresses every line is stunning.
ReplyDeleteHugs
-Jon
I like hearing covers of good song. My wife not so much. She considers covers as ruining the "original" song. I've listened to covers that are better than the original hit in my opinion. Music and opinion do go well together. thanks
ReplyDeleteThanks for that
ReplyDeleteBillie #1 by a mile.
Nat#2
Ella#3
Barbra#4 which I really, really didn't appreciate. Just my opinion,xoxox