Wednesday, September 23, 2009

show and tell






yes, it's all about eating, drinking, talking and just being together!

last night the MITM made one of his favorite dishes mussels in wine and creme fraiche as a first course and followed by pesto and linguine. both were served with copious, but perfectly chilled, amounts of fume blanc. yeah, it was good. sitting with mr. moose and miss nan reminded me of meals long past...the 6 of us gathered around the round table (which has been replaced, BUT will be used on the covered porch when the addition has been completed)and enjoying our time talking about the day, what was going on with each of us. (it just dawned on me, that has been the first question they've all asked! where's the round table?) super nana told me one of her most treasured memories was just sitting at the table and talking. you brought your A game to our table because opinions were valued and conversation was an art form we all worked on! i know that's still true for us and i'm guessing it's that same way for all of them. nothing new, i know, but it still surprises me when i hear people talking about how silent meals were when they were growing up or how it it's just not the way they do things still. anyway, as we were savoring every spoonful of the broth, i realised just how fortunate the MITM and i really are...our children love us, but more importantly, they like us, too!



the MITM is making oxtail soup for supper tonight. he started about an hour ago on this day long culinary experience. i really do wish y'all could sit with me here in the kitchen, it is truly heavenly! i might post some pictures...

15 comments:

  1. Mmmm ... ox tail soup! What time is supper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could sit in the kitchen with you too....wouldn't that be such FUN?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just too-too inviting. The light is so warm and lovely, and I can see the frosty condensation on the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Savannah,

    Friends, food and conversation; always the right combination. Did I tell you, "I love mussels?"

    Now I'm hungry!

    U

    ReplyDelete
  5. :)
    Is The Man pointing with a bottle of wine in my direction?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The food looks delicious and the place (and the host) look inviting. Fantastic!

    It is fun when you share a meal with people you love and enjoy--turns dinner into an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the bestest(:¬)) things I have ever heard is my girls telling us (they musta had a meeting) that they really like us, and not just 'cos we're they're old folks!

    Nice int it?

    BTW, I made the most delish salmon & king prawn pie tonight (no recipe, just made up as I went along), no leftovers. Five happy peeps round the (long rectangular) table, eating and chatting.

    I like. (I know, I'm a lucky guy!)

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. you two are the coolest parents and is it bad to admit that I was also checking out the contents of your bar? Is that vodka I see? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had mussels. I suffer from culinary deprivation.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMMMMMMMMoules - haven't had them since I was last in France.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds absolutely heavenly Savannah. LOVE the pictures! Have a wonderful visit and I'll be back to read the great guest post! xo

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar