Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Oxtail Soup Eaters Tale

After floating downriver out of Atlanta and washing up on the marsh bluffs of Savannah, I planned to spend the first day or so here just decompressing. But Maison Marsh-mere is the perfect decompression chamber and one day turned into the whole trip. How could I resist: beautiful, super-comfortable house surrounded by quiet greenery and clean air (what a shock to my L.A.-riddled lungs! Another week here and I'll have to start smoking), soft couches, good books, a million movies, big screen television, and oh did I mention The Most Delicious Food I've Eaten All Year?! I wake up, BAM!, North African tomato and eggs. I come down for lunch, BAM!, stuffed eggplant with red beans. What's for dinner? Well, Mr. Moose if you'll take a look in this pot you'll see - BAM! - slow cooked oxtail soup, with crusty bread and escarole/goat cheese/cherry tomato salad on the side.

I am become sloth, the eater of food.

Usually in Savannah, I like to go Downtown, eat out, maybe get out to the beach, you know, leave the house and all. But this time, I pretty much just loafed. Hardcore loafing too, not that Sunday afternoon amateur stuff (I was a loafeur, as the French say in my imagination). Just eatin' and sleepin' and watchin' and readin' and why don't I take a nice, slow stroll down to the dock at sunset, well maybe I'll go tomorrow, zzzzzzzzzzz.

My wife and I came here with all these ambitious plans about getting work done in the afternoons and they just went up in smoke. She's usually the motivated one but what did I hear yesterday when I plugged in the computer? "Why don't you get started and I'll go upstairs and watch a movie". She smiled and disappeared for a few hours and all I could do was admire her expert loafing abilities.

I think when we come back, I'll schedule a few extra days specifically for decompression. That way, we can actually plan some trips around the area. Maybe get up to Charleston, get out on the river, or....oh who am I kidding. What's for dinner?

14 comments:

  1. Mr. Moose,

    "who am I kidding"...That's the spirit Mr. Moose, eat a little, drink a little and tomorrow, zzzzzzzzzzz.

    Sounds to me like you're having a great vacation.

    U

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect ending!

    Great guest post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait - I'm getting a plane over, is there any oxtail left?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need some Hardcore loafing lessons. Ever thought about running a residential?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there is something about being with 'the parents'....even if the house isn't the one you grew up in, the PEOPLE are and on some sub-conscious level you just r-e-l-a-x.

    This of course doesn't work for ME..my mom's a pain....but I have a friend who visits his parent's and passes out on the couch immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun. I luv Atlanta! If you're in Savannah, then South Carolina is just over the bridge and Jacksonville Florida is just two hours south (and it's a mere 5 hours to Disney World!). Have fun on River Street and Tybee Island!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am intensely jealous; you have great parents. But you already know that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything to go with being in that special place with Mum and Dad?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bon appetit! Enjoy the warmth of those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think you got enough rest, having to blog and all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeahyeah, they call it being at home I guess, strange thing ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds wonderful. I dream of being one half of such a parenting team!

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar