Monday, June 11, 2012

a birthday, but no party

today miss daisy would have been 90.

one of the things present in my mind today is that i said goodbye because i knew it was the end.

i had shared many other june 11ths with her just knowing they'd go on forever.

we'd danced like crazy women,
raised glasses in toasts to friends near and far, here and gone
and new friends to come because we knew they would.

even though i'd buried my own mama many years ago, it seemed then as if miss daisy would always be around...

and then september came and she was gone.

the other thing?

we don't always know when the last goodbye will be said,

so,

be thoughtful,
be just,
be kind,
and
be loving.

sonny rollins added

and be cool.



17 comments:

  1. The first one is always the most difficult, but I try to "celebrate" the birth day rather than the day of the loss. It's a delicate dance. I always admired your relationship with Miss Daisy and I hope you do things today to remind you of everything good. XOXO. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...so here's a big hug from me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big warm hug for you, and I hope you do find something to remember her by and smile. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the oldest, bestest lesson in the big book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Big, warm hugs to you, xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good evening Savannah,

    Wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely tribute. When my husband was a boy, a mentor taught him the phrase to ask before speaking—Is it true, is it kind, is it necessary. Your guidelines put me in mind of that wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just sending you a big hug...

    Celebrate the memories...

    ReplyDelete
  9. good reminder... we never know when it's the last one. hugs to you and the MITM. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. good reminder... we never know when it's the last one. hugs to you and the MITM. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always celebrate my Mothers Birthday and not the day she died. Which is hard for me because she died 3 day after her Birthday. Difficult.
    Gosh I miss her.
    Hugs from Tucson...

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first year really sucks ass. No other way to say it politely. It just does.

    But how wonderful you and Miss Daisy had so many wonderful birthdays beforehand. You must have been a shining light for her, as you are to me.

    Lots of love to you and the MITM.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. very wise words miss savannah!

    many hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good advice but remember sweet old ladies don't feel very sweet every single day.
    One tries however.
    God bless Miss Daisy.xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  15. The birthdays are always reminders, though the first one after is nearly always the hardest.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  16. All true things. And remember to cherish those you love, and to tell them that you love them.

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar