Tuesday, October 19, 2010

tuesday stuff or you can't make up stuff like this!

(yes, yes, i know, it should have read shit, but i couldn't bring myself to have that in the title!)

here's some stuff i've come across TODAY!


and there's christine o'donnell not quite sure of what the first amendment says. and then, she went on to say that  "fortunately, senators don't have to memorize the constitution."

it's true, you really can't make up shit like this! our good friend (i read her column, ok?) maureen dowd, just recently posted a column about the current crop of republican mean girls. read the column, i think she's discovered their real party affiliation!

i know, i usually stay away from politics, but as the MITM just said, today, i got scared by the news and had to share. i long for the days of civility in conversation. i know that our political process has been contentious (i refer to the documented debates in the early days of our government), but at least, there was a bit more wit and certainly, more real conversation. i have grown tired of political ads about what church/religion a candidate professes, rather than concrete plans for protecting not only our right of freedom of religion, but also our right of freedom FROM religion. i'm tired of the "my way or the highway attitude" that is masquerading as patriotism. when are people going to realize that the constitution can't be cherry picked for words that support the exact opposite of its original intent. the founding fathers did leave some vagueness in its wording, but i'll leave that to constitutional scholars to debate. i do know, that where there is vagueness in the constitution, it permits modern interpretations to override older ones as the constitution ages. i believe ours is a living constitution, flexible and dynamic, like our country. our government may be flawed, but it has served us as well as possible and i, for one, am happy to be an american. i haven't given up on us as a people even when i wonder what the hell are we thinking and/or doing not only here, but in other parts of the world.  i could go on, but why? i think you all understand where i'm coming from politically. so, as our best president ever, but only on tv, jeb bartlett said, what's next?

and one more thing, from the sunday new york times metropolitan diary,

Dear Diary:
I travel in the elevator, down to the street and the local coffee bar. On the way, a young woman, wearing ear buds, quietly takes them out and looks down, demurely. When we arrive at ground level, I let her out of the elevator first, and think that I had really wanted to thank her for her act of politeness. She walks ahead quickly, crosses the street, off somewhere, and my chance is gone.
And then, returning to my office, I see the same woman on the elevator. Seeing me coming, she sticks her foot in the door to hold it for me. The buds are still draped around her shoulder and neck.
I look at her, and say, “I just want to thank you for having taken out the ear buds when I was in the elevator before. It was an act of kindness and recognition.”
She smiles, and says: “I have a rule. Whenever I’m within five feet of another person, I take them out. I’ve done it before, but no one has ever noticed.”
When I tell my office mate, she says, “It sounds like this ought to be the beginning of a movement.” Not likely, I think. But it belongs to a time when there was a focus and exchange between two real people, negotiating the anonymity of Big City life.
Bill Wertheim

be nice, love each other and remember, we're more alike than different.

21 comments:

  1. Little snippets of life like the elevator story is enough to give me hope for mankind. And believe me, I've had my doubts lately. I usually look forward to election night coverage but my enthusiasm tank is on empty. I stopped caring, which is a shame. If we all stop caring, then the nuts REALLY WILL take over.

    WV: Grand.

    Indeed, it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the term "masquerading as patriotism". It reminds me of the great quote by Oscar Wilde - "Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consideration for others. Good to see it is still alive and well - in places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A recent cable news talking head drew the analogy that Michelle Malkin, Sarah Palin and Christine O'Donnell were a pack of MILF's. Well I don't think Christine is a mother, but could have missed that. My point is they are the current crop of mean women. Usually our SOI only has one. Now our nation has at least three and people are listening to them like the second coming.

    As to the young woman on the elevator and her rule of personal engagement, I see kindness like that all the time; not every time mind you, but more frequently than the loud voice of mean and hate being broadcast would indicate. It is within each of us to make the moment better for someone and when people are kindly treated, they are likely to be kind to another. All this talk of trickle down this and that; it is my opinion that mean trickles down but kind rises up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat's comment said it best for me !

    After coming back to the US from Japan, the culture shock just smacks you in the face. Where ever I traveled in Japan people English speaking or not went out of their way to be nice and helpful (the country is so clean)
    I knew I was back in LA when the taxi cab driver stared to yell at me and the street were filthy.
    But that said,
    I too am very happy to be an American and the "Metropolitan Diary" made me smile.


    cheers, parsnip
















    .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Standing ovation!

    We have an idiot candidate [I know, oxymoron] running for State Senate who's made national news for his stupidity. It's so bad, a guy showed up at one of his "speeches" wearing a T-shirt that read, "S.C....we don't make this stuff up!"

    Sigh.

    I vote you Ambassador of Kindness and Common Sense.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On our local cable TV, Fox News and MSNBC are on adjacent channels. One can effortless switch between right-wing kooks and left-wing kooks masquerading as news.

    I have a university degree in journalism, but never worked a single day in it. The above being a perfect example why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never understood why people feel the need to constantly have something stuck in their ears. I run without an iPod. I bike without one. The only time I have music playing is when I'm driving. Alone. It's just more enjoyable to listen to what's around you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the new breed of nasty wingnuts is astonishing. they speak for the mean-spirited illiterate -- and a substantial portion of the US citizenry now feels "represented".

    all i know is that i cried when Ronald Regan was elected. these buttheads assured that i cried when he died...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't really comment on the politics darlin', being an 'outsider' :-) but it really made a nice change to read about the young lady & her earplugs. Much of the time, those of us who try to be considerate to others, are either ignored or sneered at & you end up thinking that nobody cares anyway :-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mistress MJ has recently moved from a city where rudeness reigns to a much more civilized locale.

    Now I need something new to complain about!

    Everyone from the shopkeepers to the civil servants to the average guy is friendlier and more courteous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Consideration for ones neighbor seems to be a forgotten practice. We shroud ourselves in our own little dome without care for the ones outside, it is nice to know some people are throwbacks to a kinder time. Cheers.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. "moved from a city where rudeness reigns" -- MJ

    That can't be true, MJ! Canadians are well-known for their polite Dudley Do-Right-ish manners!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in two elevators last week and both times someone was talking on an efffffffffffffffing cell phone. From now on Im taking the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No cherry picking- you said it and thank you;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think kindness and courtesy are gifts that cost nothing and it doesn't matter if they're reciprocated.

    I try and do both...don't always succeed, but at least I try.

    Many hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. agreed - I believe part of the problem is the media 7/24 news that amplifies all the crazies and fails to focus on issues.

    Thanks for that ear bud part - interesting idea

    You might like this parody of the news from the onion -
    http://www.theonion.com/video/has-obama-failed-to-reduce-hostility-toward-obnoxi,18264/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you entirely. Except for the first part about O'Donnell. To me she was questioning the wording of the constitution and not that she didn't know what was in it. They way they played that story out it seemed like she was the idiot when she was merely (poorly) making the point that we have changed the wording over time to mean something slightly different. They didn't seem to talk about the part where her opponent couldn't even name four of the five freedoms guaranteed in the first amendment. I mean let's get it all in there.
    You know I'm not a hostile conservative I hope. I just get mad at the news and their leanings in one direction or the other. :P plllt.
    And yes to the niceness all around. Cell phones and ear buds all around! :D

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar