Friday, October 29, 2010

things i get in my inbox...



halloween dog costumes (click on the link, it's fixed now to see the costumes) came to me via skirt magazine.

my little town has decided that trick or treating will be held on saturday evening, instead of sunday WHICH IS WHEN HALLOWEEN REALLY IS! (can you tell i'm a bit put off by the arrogance?) anyway, it seems that some christian people decided that it was inappropriate to celebrate halloween on sunday because sunday is a day of worship. well, the jewish members of our community said so, you'll do it on saturday which is our day of worship? the mayor and county supervisors said, but the sabbath ends at sundown, so all y'all are covered!

i have no idea why the city and county are doing this. saturday is the big florida - georgia game down in jacksonville (college football is MASSIVE in the south), it's game 3 of the world series, it's the 1st day of the SCAD (savannah college of art & design) savannah film festival AND i know of at least a dozen adult parties that are being held on saturday JUST because halloween is on sunday. so here's the deal, how the hell do they plan to enforce this? will the cops arrest parents and children who go trick or treating on sunday? will i have kids knocking on my door BOTH nights? (not to worry, i have a ton of candy anyway)  why in this time of real problems in my little town did the city and county governments decide without any input from the greater community to do this? why is it that my little town can be so progressive at times (civil partnerships will now have access to benefits) and then so easily manipulated by small minded religious fundamentalists?

lions and tigers and bears, OH MY! dammit, i am really beginning to miss big city life!

someecards.com - You scare me

24 comments:

  1. LOL ! Probably gonna get kids at the door BOTH nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Happy Halloween anyways.... What ever day it is....

    What is even scarier than your story about small minded government is mine about clueless goverment.
    The US Court of Appeals threw out a state mandate in Arizona that you have to prove citizenship to register to vote !
    That is my WTF ? moment today !

    That is one busy weekend you have.
    Will there be wine and your gumbo served ?

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. heff...you're probably right! the MITM was threatening to tell kids who come by on saturday to come back on sunday! xoxo

    parsnip...the chinese curse is upon us, sugar, because we are surely living in interesting times! we're staying in and giving out candy to the crumbcrushers around here! but your idea about gumbo is a very good one! dinner at 8, saturday night? bring a zin! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. xl...sorry? hell, sugar, if i had kids i would too! we'll be ready no matter what! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Down here on the state of the sun or son, the powers to be have decided that Halloween is to harsh and offensive to Christians. The day is now called "The Fall Festival"
    so happy fall festival day no wait, screw that. HAPPY HALLOWEEN
    ghosts, ghouls, monsters, witches etc......
    Cheers, Sausage

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you said "Savannah Film Festival" I actually thought it was something you, yourself, dreamed up. That perhaps you were going to rent a bunch of DVDs and make recommendations to us. Doh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SF...WTF, right? i swear, i am so tempted to pass out candy in front of city hall on sunday! cheeky bastids! ;~) xoxx

    UB...ok, you win for the funniest comment so far! but, i could do a list of cinematic recommendations, sugar! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get out!!! They can't just decide to change when Halloween is celebrated. Anyway, what happened to separation of church and state and Halloween. I say they have no jurisdiction.

    You'll probably get trick or treaters both days. I say you give the ones on Saturday tricks and no treats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No comment.

    Well okay, sigh.

    And you have a geat day whenever it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. mami...the MITM likes your idea! xoxoxo

    eolai...i know, right? did you see the dog costumes? xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. WTF is wrong with these people?
    I do remember having trick-or-treat for two nights as a kid but I didn't think the schedule had anything to do with religion.
    You should get a group of citizens to go protest at the council meeting in costume.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought the same thing as UB when I read that. I though YOU were having a Savannah Film Festival...
    I will bring wine if I can try your gumbo.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  13. lisleman...i ask myself that daily, sugar! the MITM likes your idea of appearing in costume at council. but, i almost think it would be wasted on them! xoxox

    parsnip....i've added the name of the college that sponsors the film fest. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow two nights of trick or treating in Savannah? Wait till the word gets around!

    Or maybe we should just decide that it's way too inconvenient to have Halloween at all and everyone can buy their own jumbo bags of Snickers and stay home?

    ReplyDelete
  15. most local municipalities in my little corner of the world are having beggar's night on saturday. this is typical. the won't do it on friday nights because it messes with high school football. and they won't do it on sunday because it would piss off jesus....

    ReplyDelete
  16. We also have petty officials who are bonkers.
    One of those dogs - I think it is a West Highland terrier in a gold colour is adorable.xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hands on Top of the blanket on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you friend. All kids get candy on Sunday. The parents get a shot of brandy or a Stella to go. We get lots of parents at our house.

    ps Word verification "caters." Ya damn right I do.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cute little Pug.
    We didn't really celebrate Halloween her in Aus until more recent years but i do remember when Kids first startend Knocking on the door asking for tricks or treats.

    My Dad, sick of answering the door and giving away lollies to all these strangers decided on Tricks.

    He would get the kid to hold a funnel in the waist band of his pants. And then have them balance a 20 cent coin on his forehead. If he could drop the coin into the funnel he could keep the coin.
    The trick was that while the kid was concerntrating on balancing the coin... Dad would pour water down the funnel. He(Dad) thought it was hillarious... The kids soon got the message not to bang on that door!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Fundies are mainly worried about what the other Fundies think of them, the rest of us are just chair fillers anyway. :)
    You'll prolly get both nights but you should put up a big banner "Happy Birthday Beelzebub" on the door for the douchey self righteous twats who come out on Saturday...then you can watch the game :) They have no idea if Halloween is Satan's Birthday but it will scare the hell into them!
    "Happy Birthday Beelzebub"

    ReplyDelete
  21. The poor dog looks thoroughly bemused. As well he might...

    wv: bulant

    ReplyDelete
  22. I see in the very near future that Trick or Treating will just be outlawed. Even my employer has made us quit having "Halloween parties" for the after school kids. Oh no, now we have "Fall Festivals". Who will save us from this PC crap?!

    The trick is to move FURTHER out in the country, like me. First year I stocked up on candy...not one kid.

    Same thing for the past 12 Halloweens.

    Now if I can just explain that stash of chocolate in the kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm in exactly the same Grrr about it all happening on Saturday as you, and thanks for the link!
    The pugs had it for me (spider and alligator) until the box of bananas, but I had to stop when I got to the Dracula terrier and victim in the coffin, as by then I was laughing so much I feared for the quantity (large) of sweets in my belly. I don't agree with dressing dogs up, as you know, but by golly, it's funny.

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar