The breakfast room here faces the street. It's a busy street, so there's a lot of vehicular traffic, as well as foot traffic. Whenever I'm sitting at the table it's impossible not to notice the folks walking by. It seems as if 9 out of 10 walking are on their phones, not speaking, but looking down at them. Most of them are teens or slightly older. Very rarely are they talking to someone on the phone. I always find this interesting and sort of scary, the walking and staring at the phone screen I mean.
This is a neighborhood that has quite a few young families, so there are lots of dads or moms pushing strollers in the mornings and early evenings. They're hardly ever on their phones. We also see lots of couples walking and talking to each other. There are lots of folks walking their dogs, too. They're never on their phones! I think that has to do with how careful they are about making sure they clean up after their dogs! LOL
All of this is anecdotal to what, I have no idea, but I just wanted to share it with all y'all. Plus, I'm waiting for dinner to be ready and the MITM has earphones on so he isn't listening to my ramblings...
Dinner's ready.
Finally.
Whenever I see people walking and they are NOT on their phones, I smile a little brighter because I feel like they are truly present.
ReplyDeletexoxo
That's it EXACTLY, sweetpea! We make have a lot of cars zipping by, but from the sidewalk the mountains are visible and even on a city sidewalk, you're surrounded by the beauty of nature, wild and domestic! xoxo
DeleteYesterday I went to the superette in my neighbourhood. I had to avoid bumping into phone-glued persons twice, some others simply stood on the sidewalk staring into the little black shingle.
ReplyDeleteOn trains I am tempted to think I am the only one without earplugs, who is not using some electronic device.
It's almost comical, I know! I hardly ever seeing anyone reading an actual book or magazine while in a waiting room! xoxo
DeleteI found this amusing. In the nicer parts of Los Santos in GTA V/Online, everyone is looking down at their phones and rude as hell whenever you disturb them.
ReplyDeleteThe people where I live seem to use phones the way they were originally designed, and I'm no one to judge. I tend to have wired earbuds attached so I can stream podcasts.
It's become an obsession - over here, there's a debate going on about banning young people from using them, at least in schools... Jx
ReplyDeleteOh my...my whole comment just disappeared!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat I was going to say is I see a young guy walking his two dogs every morning. Two dogs, both cute and very well behaved. But the owner is ALWAYS looking down on his cell phone, and texting like crazy as you can see his fingers going a mile a minute. Or watching something. I have even watched as he enters the park across the street, and viewed him with binoculars, barley ever looks up. And then back again, up the street. What in hell is so important all the time that he is on his phone??? Like I have never seen him without it let alone look up. For all he knows his dogs ran off in the opposite direction. I don't get it lambchop.
ReplyDeleteI think people being preoccupied with their devices is potentially dangerous, they become easy Marks for Criminal Activity since they aren't paying attention. And, don't even get me started on those who Drive while under the influence of their Phones... at the DA's Office the Vehicular Homicides were worse for Phone Users/Texting than for those who were Drunk or High.
ReplyDelete