Monday, February 11, 2019

Flat Stanley on the Plantation!

On Sunday, Tim Footman aka cultural snow wrote a piece on Tomi Ungerer, a name that was unfamiliar to me until I read the piece. Seems that Mr Ungerer was the illustrator for the children's book "Flat Stanley" by Jeff Brown. Why is this important? Well, loverlies, Flat Stanley is visiting the Plantation and will be returning to Big Girl Matrix tomorrow after all of his adventures visiting us!

Yep, BGM and her classmates each sent a copy of Flat Stanley to a relative to dress/decorate in clothes that "appropriate for the weather you live in" and take pictures of him doing things around and about wherever they live. BGM asked that we take pictures of what SHE likes to do here which is hang out at OUR HOUSE! Not for Flat Stanley would there be the usual tourist haunts in our little town because all the real fun takes place here! Forget the historic squares, the river, City Market, and the horse drawn carriages! Nope, it's all about music, baking & pickles, and a ride around the block in BGM favorite blue wagon!


Flat Stanley is rather formally attired for hanging out at home, as he's wearing a tie and long pants! I gave him red Converse because anyone I know who'd be wearing a dress shirt and a tie in our little town would HAVE to be wearing tennis shoes! 

************

Somebody got a haircut!

****************

I spend a little time looking back at old blog posts after doing the 10 year look back post and ended up reliving February 2011. Even with the MITM sitting right across from me it was a palpable return to that difficult time and how all y'all rallied to my side. I read a few of my posts and the comments out loud, and we were reminded of the generosity of spirit and kindness you shared so freely. It will always be remembered. xoxox

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'll never tell! Tim's post was enlightening! xoxo

      Delete
  2. She wanted him to see the things she loves to do !
    Adorable,

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We sent the pics to super nana's iPhone, so they called asap after receiving them. BGM LOVED them and she told us that we took all the right pics! xoxo

      Delete
  3. And those are pronounced "Tennie Shoes."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue wagon pic!
    Yep, there are a lot of memories typed into our blogs, and a lot of support. I've enjoyed looking back.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) The MITM took a TON of pics with Flat Stanley, but this was my favorite! We have a few pics of BGM in the very same wagon that still make me smile.
      I'm glad you did the 10 year look back, sugar. It's been fun! xoxox

      Delete
  5. We did a flat Stanley a few years ago. We took him to downtown Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were going to do the Historic district, but BGM asked us to take pics at home! xoxo

      (this must be a new-ish thing because I don't ever recall doing this with any of the krewe.)

      Delete
  6. Flat Stanley is new to me. Well done.

    My eye was immediately drawn to that cool folding wagon. We are not allowed to have plastic bags in The People's Democratic Republic Of Austin, so I have a small folding hand truck with two milk crates as my shopping cart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, as I told Bill (see above), but neighbors walking by when the MITM was taking pics told him that they'd gone down to the beach with Flat Stanley!

      We use reusable bags here even though plastic are still (for now) available. The folding wagon was purchased at Home Depot (I think) but similar models can be found online. At least with the wagon, you wouldn't need the milk crates! ;) xoxox

      Delete
  7. Flat STanley is new to me.
    I think music, baking, and riding in the blue wagon is a real good program.

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar