Saturday, April 5, 2025

Chinese Curse

Guest Post - MITM

There's a Chinese Curse that goes something like "may you live in interesting times". Well enough said.

I recently read an article entitled Infinite License by Israeli writer Omer Bartov in The New York Review of Books (Volume LXXII, Nbr 2, April 24th, 2025), Mr. Bartov takes us on a journey through several books addressing the Gaza war. As an aside, he makes the following remarks:

"One afternoon in early December 2024 I was sitting with a friend of many decades at a popular cafe facing the Habima Theatre in Tel Aviv. I looked around the busy cafe and asked, 'what does a society engaged in genocide look like?' 'Like this,' we agreed. Some of the younger men and women sipping espressos may have just come back from service in Gaza or Lebanon."

Chilling. We citizens in the remnants of a constitutional democracy, must now have the courage to ask ourselves tough questions. What does a society look like in the midst of eroding democratic principles, disdain for the rule of law, willful marginalization of minorities, racist and misogynistic state mandated policies?

Well, sadly, look around America, like this.

6 comments:

  1. It will always looks like this until We The People DEMAND change and remove from office all those who are not working for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “interesting times”… *E@L looks up #understatement in the dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly many countries are living through interesting times.

    "I know there is a law in life, that blood gets more blood as dog begets dog. Death generates death, as the vulture breeds the vulture!"

    Most people in the world would like Peace where ever they live but I think Omer Bartov's smug and 'witty' comments are not particularly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For all the people who scream, "This is not America" I tell them, "Oh yes, this IS America and it has been for us minorities my entire life."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Jewish friends in Israel who are disgusted with Netanyahu’s personal Holocaust (committed mostly to keep him out of jail). I can only hope his plane to America gets to do an emergency landing in a country where the International Criminal Court holds sway.

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar