Saturday, December 12, 2020

Looking Death straight in the eye

Watching the news has become similar to glancing at obituaries, something you do almost without thinking. On TV we see maskless people become the proverbial dead men walking, ambling slowly to their deaths. All the while looking death straight in the eye and saying I'm not the droid you're looking for except, in this case, it could very well be them. 

I'm watching people do the most foolish things because they don't believe that the pandemic is real. Or if they believe that it is, in fact, a real thing it isn't going to affect them. No, not for them the overflowing COVID ward. Not for them, the emergency triage set-up in a converted hospital parking garage. These folks think that they are immune because of some convoluted reasoning that exists only in their feeble brains and fuck all the rest of us. Yeah, the chosen ones will survive this pandemic and the rest of us are damned to suffer. I truly do not understand the selfishness of those folks around here that think masks diminish them or somehow impinge on their personal freedom. 

Or maybe, they have resigned themselves to death and are spending their last days on earth doing as they please and fuck all the rest of us. 

I'm just so damned tired of this me-first mentality that far too many people seem to think is appropriate. Trump is just the most visible manifestation of that me first libertarian attitude that too many believe is their own manifestation of American exceptionalism.

I'm just too angry.

********

I wrote a post about combat breathing that I never posted. Part of the reason it never saw the light of day was because I was truly angry the day I wrote it. I'd had only one day of real happiness after the election was called for the Biden-Harris ticket. The next day it was back to WTAF is going to happen now or WTAF is Trumpito going to do now that he's lost.  Combat breathing is basically centering  yourself, slowing your breathing down and giving you time to reset and focus on your goal.* In my case, it was and still is keeping my eyes on the January 20th, 2021 swearing in of Joseph Robinette Biden, Jr. as the 46th President of the United States of America.

I sincerely hope that we, as a Nation, can find a way to care for each other and provide universal healthcare, paid leave for workers, and assistance for small businesses. We have to find a way, as other countries have done, to make it possible for people to weather mandatory lockdowns until this pandemic is under control without food insecurity or fear of eviction for non-payment of rent or mortgage payments.

I'm tired of being angry.


*Simply put, combat breathing involves counting to four for each step of the breathing process. Breath in, count to four. Hold your breath, count to four. Exhale, count to four. This process can act as a soft reset for your nervous system and calm the shakes faster.

12 comments:

  1. I was recently taught to do the breathing thing, but I'm not very good at it. I've avoided the news recently, which helps a lot - what with Brexit as well. What a global shit storm we have going on. Best to take cover.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured." - Mark Twain

    “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.” — Desmond Tutu

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can somehow switch these damn news etc. off - ? See, it happens, whatever is there to happen - whether we look at it or not. Roughly four weeks until the official end of the actual obscenity - why not impose your private lockdown : No tv, no talk radio, limited news access via web (ten minutes a day, selected sources). Full access to books, music, the kitchen (if the MITM allows !) and your desk : Try an aquarel, write a poem, de-pressurise.
    This is what I will try after this week, minus the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mago, we've all been telling her this for years and the woman simply isn't going to co-operate! Lets you and I dunk her in a vat of ketamine and throw her to the pool boys!

      Delete
  4. I hope the breathing helps. All I can do is give you xoxoxoxoxoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with the angry thing. With all due respect sugarpie, I'm tired of this fucking shit! The Great Ass and his minions have no idea how embarrassing they look.

    But the Covid is real. It's getting closer to home now. One of my clients that I was to decorate for, her husband just died of it and last night I ex co-worker at my old store location texted to tell me one of my favorite ladies who worked at the store got covid and she sadly didn't make it either.

    If one more covid idiot say "Oh it's here and it will just have to go through the herd to let us get immunized" Ill scream. This friend said nothing should be closed, and if we get it we get. Needless to say we aren't friends anymore. I don't see this really clearing till spring at least.

    I'm readying my post of Christmas decorating...maybe that will cheer you a bit. I know I was happy decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand your anger. I just don't understand how so many people fail to take the virus seriously. My older sister's husband is on a ventilator as I write this. After this is over for her I want to ask her if she is angered by the people who don't wear masks. I'm not sure what the answer will be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watch very little news, mostly some local and lots of weather.
    I am so angry I just try to turn it around and be thankful when this happens. I have forgotten the breathing count, I will be trying this.
    Thank You !
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. I long ago forbade tv news on while we have dinner. We listen to jazz and are the better for it. The Man is welcome to watch news after dinner...I retreat to my little den (in here!) and do no non-corrosive things.
    There's a sort-f party over at mine and I promise no Trumpery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so tired of this myself. The only reason why I'm coping with it is by blocking every single person that disagrees with me on politics. I don't want Trump, his poo flinging monkeys, or his family on my time line. Ever.

    I'm also fed up with non-mask wearers. The only way I cope is I tell myself, "You wanna die? Knock yourself out." and then take every necessary precaution to protect myself.

    Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm tired of being angry too. What just unnerves me is that Trump and his lackey's do these terrible things and don't flinch an inch. It's like some have said - the cruelty and selfishness is the point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, I feel this. Living down the road from the reddest town in the bluest state and seeing the proliferation of frenzied Trumpiana going up in yards and driving past on farm trucks, I'm lost and wondering what the hell is up these determinedly ignorant turds in the gene pool. The local christian private schools have crowded schoolyards - girls in dresses, boys in slacks - and every store is fancy free full of little old ladies and good ol' boys clustered like rotten eggs in a carton, as though covid is something that dies at the 'Entering Lynden, Washington' sign. I've stopped shopping there. It's a place I go through on my way to saner places. I'm looking forward, like you, to the swearing in of Joe Biden, and hoping that hate as a point of ostentatious pride will die with the Orange Thing's presidency. Hang in there, Savannah. This too WILL PASS!

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar