Thursday, October 3, 2019

Are you still dancing?

To Earth, Wind and Fire, of course!

Every time I see those words, I starting singing/humming the song. (chair dancing as I type)

**********************

So here we are, October 3rd! I'm in Burbank and super nana just asked me, "Why aren't you blogging?" I had no good answer (or even a bad one), so here I am! We're still nomads (I'd say Bedouin, but I'm neither Arab or North African, and sweetmarysunshine, I'm the last one who wants to be accused of cultural appropriation) and actually still enjoying it. Looking at real estate in Lalaland is an adventure, especially when you're from this place and remember what it used to be. 
******

California, and Los Angeles specifically, has seen a monumental rise in homeless population for a variety of reasons many of which have existed for a long time. Part of the problem can be traced to the closure of mental hospitals under then Gov. Ronald Reagan and on into his presidency and the Republican controlled Senate. Check out this link from Salon Magazine:

https://www.salon.com/2013/09/29/ronald_reagans_shameful_legacy_violence_the_homeless_mental_illness

(Seems I've forgotten how to do a hyperlink!)

But that's only a part of the problem. The disparity between rich and poor has grown incrementally and is startlingly apparent in areas far removed from the traditional "Skid Row" area in Downtown L.A.! Campsites along major streets and under overpasses are common sights. Seeing tents pitched in alleys behind what would be considered middle class areas is no longer surprising. And yet, with all of this real need for housing, we have empty luxury apartments that are written off by developers or priced far beyond the means of working people. To be clear, here, as in far too many places, people are living paycheck to paycheck and one misstep can end up in an eviction or foreclosure. Too often it's not even a misstep, it's an unexpected expense that sends a person or family reeling out of financial control. Seeing campers, cars, SUVs, and camper trucks lining residential and industrial streets 24/7 is a sight not expected in a city that has a budget that dwarfs COUNTRIES is beyond startling. Los Angeles is trying to address this issue, but it may be a case of too little, too late I don't know. What I do know is that there are people working to solve these problems and they are in the public and private sector. Throwing money at the problem isn't the solution. Like any other problem that occurs when you're dealing with people, we're looking at a multi-pronged approach. Providing housing must be coupled with providing needed services to those who need them. I know that this is an issue for many cities, not only here in the USA, but in other countries. I also know I'm starting to ramble/babble, but it's only because this city, my city, has changed so much and is so different, I feel almost lost here.

***********

Now, back to me and the MITM. Given all that I've shared (and believe me, I cut out a LOT), we have nothing to complain about because we have options and living on the street and pushing a shopping cart isn't one of them. 

And for that, I am grateful.

******

This is how this post had started before I realized just how ungrateful I sounded:

After living in 2600 square feet in a single family house with a HUGE garden, looking at an apartment less than half that size stacked/surrounded by dozens of units is a tad off-putting. 

It looks as if given the MITM's schedule, things won't be settling down until sometime during the first quarter of 2020. April will mark one year back in Southern California and the beginning of yet another chapter here in the city, my city, Los Angeles! 

7 comments:

  1. I think London has gone the same way, i.e empty luxury apartments owned by the super rich, and locals being pushed out. And in the West Country house prices on the coast have driven locals out because of the 2nd home market. Something ought to be done about it.
    Meanwhile, downsizing is never easy!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, on the bright side at least you don't have to worry about hurricanes blowing your house down. (Yes, I'm overlooking earthquakes on purpose). :) I'm just glad that you and MITM have each other and your kids are glad to have you around. Have a wonderful weekend! (Nope, no blog for me but I am checking in on your folks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ms Scarlet's point about second homes because it's the same here on the North-Norfolk coast. You don't see any homeless though because they all migrate inland to the big towns and cities.

    I hope the new year will find you a new home (preferably in the least earthquakey bit of LA/California - I'm sorry, I worry!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with most of what you say. . . .
    I am so happy to see your blog pop up. Take care and be safe.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even here in the centre of Canada, where winters are brutal with -30C (-22F) a regular occurrence, we have homeless. Many refuse to even overnight in the shelters for most of the year. It is heartbreaking, because so many have mental health issues and resources are at slim pickings even here in the land of universal healthcare. (Certain things aren't really universally covered, and mental healthcare is one, along with dentistry.) I am very glad you have places to couch surf while you search for a new (albeit smaller) home. Good luck on that front! Having lived in San Diego and the Vancouver area on Canada's west coast, I understand about the sky high real estate prices.

    Every time I see 'MITM' in your posts, in my mind, I say Mitt Ma. How weird is that! Thanks for your post. I have been absent for a long time (for obvious reasons), and hope to be back on blogger soon. Hopefully. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. "cultural appropriation" - I have trouble with that one. Maybe I don't appreciate the effects of it. Seems to me that if I like a culture other than my own I can't emulate it.
    Yeah Reagan and his treatment of mental health. His policy messed up places and people across the land. You're right there are many aspects to this problem.
    Developers can do damage if they only focus on the big money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Earth wind and fire always get me dancing. I hope you find the right home for yourselves soon - sending love xxxx

    ReplyDelete

tell me something good, sugar