If You Forget Me
I want you to know
one thing.
You know how this is:
if I look
at the crystal moon, at the red branch
of the slow autumn at my window,
if I touch
near the fire
the impalpable ash
or the wrinkled body of the log,
everything carries me to you,
as if everything that exists,
aromas, light, metals,
were little boats
that sail
toward those isles of yours that wait for me.
Well, now,
if little by little you stop loving me
I shall stop loving you little by little.
If suddenly
you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you.
If you think it long and mad,
the wind of banners
that passes through my life,
and you decide
to leave me at the shore
of the heart where I have roots,
remember
that on that day,
at that hour,
I shall lift my arms
and my roots will set off
to seek another land.
But
if each day,
each hour,
you feel that you are destined for me
with implacable sweetness,
if each day a flower
climbs up to your lips to seek me,
ah my love, ah my own,
in me all that fire is repeated,
in me nothing is extinguished or forgotten,
my love feeds on your love, beloved,
and as long as you live it will be in your arms
without leaving mine.
Pablo Neruda
A great man.
ReplyDeleteMichelle Bachelet seems to have things a little more in line, well you would think so especially after her father suffered months of daily torture under Pinochet, and died of heart failure during the process- murdered.
The Pinochet family are now under arrest and I hope it sticks to give people some kind of closure to their long grief over lost - never knowing what exactly what happened - family and friends.
Indeed left at the shore in deep sadness.
A beautiful poem.
I had to get political.
Pablo might do the same.
Y;-) Paddy
Thank you for this beautiful Neruda poem.
ReplyDeleteIn March 2004 I had the honour of attending a 100th birthday celebration in his honor. About a dozen people who had known Neruda attended, among them friends of his like Volodia Teitelboim, Antonio Skármeta, Alistair Reid, Ariel Dorfman, Edith Grossman, who reminisced about the times they spent with him, some of it in exile, like Teitelboim. They also showed a home movie with Neruda himself reciting his poem (I think to remember that he wrote it at age 19) "Tonight I Can Write the saddest lines", in Spanish, of course, and photos of his house by the seaside. Very moving. I treasure my copy of "Neruda - On the blue shore of silcence", since it was signed by most of the guests around the table, with some very sweet dedications and even some drawings.
"Tonight I can write the saddest lines.
Write, for example, 'The night is starry
and the stars are blue and shiver in the distance.'
The night wind revolves in the sky and sings."
Sigh.
ReplyDeleteNeruda always manages to make me sad.
Me too. But I really liked reading this.
ReplyDeleteHey I love the new look blog!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful. I love his poetry.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this wee gem in my day.
Beautiful beautiful beautiful lines...thanks, you made my rainy day less miserable, cheers.
ReplyDelete